FAQ - Admissions Questions

Root > FAQ

What are the admission requirements for the NC program?

Hawthorn University welcomes students who have graduated from high school or who have earned a GED to be considered for enrollment to the Nutrition Consultant program. Basic computer proficiency, access to the Internet and E-mail are required.


What are the admission requirements for the MSHN program?

The Master of Science in Holistic Nutrition (MSHN) is a comprehensive program in holistic nutrition. Your only prerequisite is a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.  The MSHN program is a clinical program where students ‘meet’ with their instructor on the phone for an individual graded conference call, which concludes each course. You would work with your instructor to find a mutually convenient time to engage in these conferences as part of your clinical coursework. Basic computer proficiency, access to the Internet and email are required.


What are the admissions requirements for the MHNE program?

Students with a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university are invited to apply to the Master of Science in Health and Nutrition Education (MHNE) program. Academic and personal qualifications of prospective students are considered. Basic computer proficiency, access to the Internet and email are required. Hawthorn University does not accept transfer credits or award credit for prior experiential learning for the master's program in Health and Nutrition Education


What are the admission requirements for the doctoral program?

To be considered for the doctoral program in holistic nutrition at Hawthorn University, applicants are required to have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university, plus a master’s degree in nutrition or allied field from an accredited university, or from Hawthorn University. Applicants who already hold other master’s level or doctoral degrees in other health profession, such as a master’s in nursing, DC, ND, MD or veterinary medicine may also apply. Basic computer proficiency, access to the Internet and email are required.


What prerequisites are required for the doctoral program?

Applicants should have already completed prerequisite course work in anatomy and physiology, research methodology, whole foods nutrition, macronutrients, and micronutrients.  If you already have a master’s degree but do not meet all these requirements, we encourage you to apply so that we may evaluate which prerequisite course work you need to fulfill. Many of these courses may be taken through the Hawthorn master’s level curriculum or you may take them at a local college for transfer credit. Please refer to the Hawthorn website at www.hawthornuniversity.org for full program details.


Do I need a bachelor’s degree for the NC program?

Hawthorn University’s Nutrition Consultant Program is a comprehensive training program, designed for individuals who want to practice clinical nutrition but do not have a Bachelors degree. To enter the Nutrition Consultant Program you need a high school diploma or GED. You are not required to take college entrance exams.


Can graduates of the NC program enter the master’s program?

Students who enter the master’s program must have a bachelor degree from an accredited institution.  Hawthorn does not offer a bachelor’s degree.  Upon graduating from the Nutrition Consultant Program students will be certified by Hawthorn as Nutrition Consultants.



How do I obtain an application?

The application process and an online application for admission can be found on the Hawthorn homepage http://hawthornuniversity.org.


What are the admission deadlines?


Application Due                                 Class Start

March 23, 2009                                   April 6, 2009

June 22, 2009                                      July 6, 2009

September 21, 2009                             October 5, 2009


Can you sign up for school at any time?

There are four scheduled start dates each year at Hawthorn University.  Students wishing to begin on a specific start date must be sure to submit their application and required documents by the deadline. However, Hawthorn recognizes and understands that students may wish to begin their studies at various times throughout the year.  Once approved for acceptance, students interested in early enrollment may request admission for an additional fee of $50.00.

 Can I fax the application items to Hawthorn University?

Applications should be completed online or mailed along with a $50 non-refundable application fee.  Online applicants will be emailed an invoice with an online payment option. Letters of reference and a copy of the driver’s license can be uploaded online, mailed to; Hawthorn University, Office of the Registrar, PO Box 546916, Surfside, Florida 33154, or faxed to; 866 672-4990. Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Registrar’s office.

Can I waive the TOEFL requirement?

Hawthorn University does not provide English as a second language instruction. Hawthorn University requires prospective international students to have an

academic background equivalent to an education in the United States. International students must demonstrate competency in English and may be required to take the

“Test of English as a Foreign Language” (TOEFL). All courses are conducted in English.

The minimum TOEFL (paper test) score for NC is 500, 530 for the MSHN and MHNE programs, and 550 for the DHNE program. The minimum iBT score for NC is 61, 71 for the MSHN and MHNE programs, and 80 for the doctoral program.



Do I need to take an admission’s test or the GRE?

There is no admission test or GRE required by Hawthorn University.


What is the application and enrollment process like at Hawthorn?

The application process is a multi-step process that typically takes 3-4 weeks to complete.  Additional information concerning the application requirements can be found on the Hawthorn website for each program.


How do I register for courses?

When you are enrolled, you will receive access to the student website that will provide directions for registration and other Hawthorn policies.  Generally, after you complete a course and receive a grade, you request the next course on the student learning platform.  This is a relatively easy and simple process that is easy to navigate.


Do I need to submit transcripts from all the colleges or universities I attended?

Yes, all incoming students are required to provide all relevant official transcripts from the previous schools they have attended.  Transcripts are to be mailed to; Hawthorn University, Office of the Registrar, PO Box 546916, Surfside, Florida 33154.


How do I send for an official transcript from my prior colleges?

Most institutions will allow you to request an official transcript via the Internet.  You will have to provide the necessary information and pay a small fee for the service.  You can request that the transcript be mailed directly to the Hawthorn University Registrar.  If you can secure an official transcript, in person, at your school, do not open the sealed envelope and mail it to Hawthorn University, Office of the Registrar, PO BOX 546916, Surfside, Florida 33154.  Official transcripts will not be accepted if they are not received in a sealed envelope.


How long will it take to process my degree application?

Generally the application process takes three to four weeks.  However, if you are diligent and swift in submitting all the required documentation, the process could be completed sooner.


Can I register for a course while I am going through the application process?

As soon as you have received an acceptance from the University, you will be assigned to Orientation.  Once you have completed Orientation and have submitted your assignments, you will able to request your first course.


Can my application be handwritten?

Your application may be handwritten and faxed to us at 866-672-4990.


Do my letters of recommendation have to come from someone in the field of nutrition?

You can get your letters of recommendation from people outside the field.  The purpose is for you to articulate to the person writing the recommendation why you want to move into this field and what you hope to accomplish. Letters of recommendation can come from colleagues or supportive friends.


Is there a form for reference letters?

There is no form for reference letters. Please ask your references to include information on why and how they feel you would benefit from a program at Hawthorn and what you can bring to the program. Any information on your interest in nutrition would also be helpful to include.


I have a bachelor’s degree but know nothing about nutrition.  Can I still enroll in a Master’s Program?

Yes, the only prerequisite is a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited or state licensed institution. Academic and personal qualifications of prospective students are considered. Basic computer proficiency, access to the Internet and email are required.

Add Feedback